Saturday

Green Island

On Sunday 6 April we were picked up outside our hotel by a coach from Big Cat Cruises. We headed to the Cairns wharf to catch the boat to Green Island on the Great Barrier Reef.


First stop for me was the Glass Bottomed Boat.
















Then the semi-submarine.




A couple of short videos of the reef from underneath the semi-submarine.

Next I had an introductory scuba dive.
It was my first time ever doing a scuba dive and I was quite nervous.

We started with a bit of practice using the breathing equipment underwater in the resort pool.
Then it was off to meet the boat at the beach.

The hardest part for me was getting used to immersing my face in the water and to begin with I didn't think I would be able to do it. I went down a little bit a few times and had to come back up.
My dive instructor suggested that we begin with snorkelling and after doing this for a little while he took me under the water.
It was an incredible experience and I'm really pleased that I was able to do it though I don't think it's something I'd want to take up as a hobby.
I'd like to give a special thank you to my dive instructor, pictured below. It was thanks to him that I was able to go under the water and complete the dive.
I spent the rest of the day having a look round the island.











Back on the boat I met up with my sister and the kids. Just before we started the journey back we viewed the fish feeding, and a shark, from the back of the boat.

Then it was back to Cairns after a very enjoyable day.
We ended the day by heading to Willie McBride's restaurant and bar just over the road from our hotel for a meal.

No comments: